Re: [Phys-l] refraction question

Mike writes

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] >On Behalf Of Michael Porter
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 1:42 PM

My eyes each perceive colour
slightly differently. This is easiest to notice when I am watching a
caucasian newsreader (light skin helps, and they don't move around a
lot). The skin tone looks slightly reddish in one eye and slightly
greenish in the other. I've tried this many times over the years, and
the effect is consistent. So I'm sure that different people see at
least *slightly* different colours.

The effect is subtle, and I doubt most people would notice it unless
they went looking for it -- try it out.

Mike

--
Michael Porter
Colonel By Secondary School

I assume that this happens when watching television? How about in "real" life? Do you see this effect, say, in sunlight with live subjects?

I suspect what you are seeing is a different sensitivity in each eye to the RGB colors on the monitor, with your brain "trained" to balance the two eyes in normal lighting.

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark.
The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light."
- Plato

Dr. George Spagna
Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College