Re: [Phys-l] Gamma-Gamma Coincidence

On Mar 29, 2010, at 7:15 AM, Brian Whatcott wrote:

I see that Serway & Faughn (5th) shows a frequency overlap between
Gammas and Xrays in one place,
but notes a separation of the two in another passage. Generally, It
refers to gamma ray photons.

It was said, long time ago, that alpha rays were the least penetrating while gamma rays were the most penetrating nuclear radiations. The so- called "beryllium radiation," was believed to be "unusual gamma rays" because it was highly penetrating. Chadwick identified that radiation as neutrons.

Ludwik

Brian W

Bernard Cleyet wrote:
My being corrected predates yours. About 1962 and possible in the fifties when I attended a nuclear physics lab.

I made a point of telling the students "doing" the Fe-57 Mössbauer lab. that it was a nuclear transition, and, therefore, even tho it was of lower energy than the vast number of X-rays they'd encounter, a gamma.

bc