Re: [Phys-l] Gamma-Gamma Coincidence

On 03/28/2010 04:19 PM, Michael Edmiston wrote:
John, before you said...

"From the nucleus" is not the only possible definition.
AFAICT it's not even the usual definition.

... did you do any serious checking?

I did.

The figure you linked to is really old.

But as I said, there were many others, and all I
could find were consistent. I chose one that was
scanned at a high resolution and had a variety of
units: wavelength, frequency, and energy.

You might check even Wikipedia under "gamma ray"

I did. Unless it has changed in the last few minutes,
the second sentence of that article says
"They are produced by sub-atomic particle interactions
such as electron-positron annihilation, ...."

directly contradicting the "nucleus only" definition.

As I have previously pointed out in other contexts,
it is not unusual for wikipedia articles to be self-
contradictory (in addition to just plain wrong).

I carelessly let the wording 511-gammas slip into a draft of my
thesis (in just one place), and my whole committee noticed it, and I was
asked to change it to 511-keV (gamma)(+-) , which I did, with embarrassment.

<snip>

I have a whole shelf of reference books and nuclear physics books that say
the same things, and this is the way all my "nuclear colleagues" talk and
write. What more do you need?

I stand by my assertion that "nuclear only" is not the
only definition. I checked earlier, and I checked again
just now, and there are many, many instances of annihilation
radiation being called gamma rays.

My one-time colleague recently wrote:
A. P. Mills, Jr., D. B. Cassidy and R. G. Greaves
"Prospects for making a Bose-Einstein-condensed Positronium
Annihilation Gamma Ray Laser"

I very much doubt that his choice of words was sloppy,
ignorant, or out-of-date.

A search for
http://www.google.com/search?q=gamma+annihilation
turns up millions of hits, and instances of "gamma ray"
vastly outnumber instances of "(gamma)(+-)". I consider
this an unbiased sampling of recent usage.

A search of scientific papers via
http://arxiv.org/find/all/1/ANDNOT+ti:+AND+gamma+annihilation+ti:+dark/0/1/0/all/0/1
produces the same overwhelming statistics in support
of what I said. Again I consider this an unbiased
sampling of recent usage.