From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Dr. Richard Tarara
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 1:20 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: [Phys-l] Graphing algebraic equations

Are other people seeing problems with this--students ability to sketch
graphs of algebraic expressions? This year is the worst I've seen. The
context is primarily in doing Gauss' Law for spheres and cylinders and
wanting a field versus distance graph. I'm getting a lot of nonesense even
after we've done numerous examples (and pure gibberish the first time this
is asked). [We're talking about Chemistry and Engineering students with
pretty solid calculus backgrounds.] I'm wondering if this might not be
partly due to graphing calculators--they've graphed many functions but never
internalized what shapes go with what functions. Again--is this an
isolated observance or are others seeing this too?

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Software
New multi-input energy simulator--plays similar to the Montana State analog
computer.