[Phys-l] Advice to Lecturers by Faraday & Bragg (was Re: Confessions of a Converted Lecturer #2)

In "Re: Confessions of a Converted Lecturer #2" [Hake (2010b)] I wrote [bracketed by lines "HHHHH. . . . "]:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Long before Eric Mazur, I stopped routine lecturing in 1969, after learning about the Keller Plan during a visit to MIT.

However, few if any apart from myself, seem to have appreciated the essential difference between routine lecturing - purpose information passing (bad) - and special lectures - purpose creating interest and excitement (good); CERTAINLY NOT BRAGG IN HIS MONOGRAPH ON 'THE LECTURE', WHICH WAS PUBLISHED BY THE ROYAL INSTITUTION . . . .[[My CAPS, I wonder if Lewis could supply a reference? - my Google search failed to unearth one]]. . . . .

My contribution to this debate seems to have dropped out of the literature - presumably because it was many years in advance of others' thinking. I would much appreciate anything that you may be able to do to remedy this situation.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Then George MacDonald Ross <http://www.philosophy.leeds.ac.uk/GMR/homepage/gmr.html> (2010) in his STLHE-L post "Re: Confessions of a Converted Lecturer #2" [Ross (2010)] wrote [bracketed by lines "RRRRRR. . . ."; slightly edited; my insert at ". . . . .[[insert]]. . . . .]]:

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
The piece by Bragg that Lewis Elton refers to must be "Advice to lecturers: an anthology taken from the writings of Michael Faraday and Lawrence Bragg", edited by Sir George Porter and James Friday: London, Mansell Information Publishing for the Royal Institution, 1974.

Sir William Henry Bragg (1862-1942) and his son, Sir William Lawrence Bragg (1890-1971) were professors of physics at the University of Leeds when such positions were hereditary (only joking!), and they shared the Nobel Prize for physics in 1915.

Lewis Elton is very well known in higher education circles in the UK, and I think he is doing himself an injustice when he says his views on lectures are ignored.

I myself gave up lecturing in favour of discussion seminars for teaching philosophy in 1993. Ironically, a right-wing, down-market UK newspaper, the Daily Mail, recently published a shock-horror article on the increasing number of UK academics paid over £100,000 p.a. It illustrated the story with an old agency photo of me giving a lecture in the old chemistry theatre at the University of Leeds, dating back to 1993. So I'm doubly insulted by the implication (a) that I earned over £100,000 (by the time I retired, I was earning just over half that), and (b) that I give lectures.

See "Surge in lecturers on £100,000 plus: Number rises by 450% as student places are cut" [Clark (2010)]
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

George MacDonald Ross IS RIGHT. The piece by Bragg that Lewis Elton refers to is
Faraday & Bragg (1974), as was also indicated to me in an email of 21 Mar 2010 from Lewis Elton.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands
Honorary Member, ARFU (Academic Reference Freaks United)
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>
<http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>

REFERENCES [Tiny URL's courtesy <http://tinyurl.com/create.php>.]
Clark, L. 2010. "Surge in lecturers on £100,000 plus: Number rises by 450% as student places are cut" MailOnline, 27 February; online at <http://tinyurl.com/yhkqr97>.

Elton, L. 2010. "Re: Confessions of a Converted Lecturer," PBL post of 17 Mar 2010 09:37:02+0000; online at <http://tinyurl.com/y8qp6ct>.

Faraday, M & L. Bragg. 1974. "Advice to Lecturers: An Anthology Taken from the Writings of Michael Faraday and Lawrence Bragg," edited by James R. Friday and Sir George Porter. Mansell Information Publishing for the Royal Institution. Amazon.com information at <http://tinyurl.com/yk7z4st>. This book is evidently available at: (a) eBay <http://tinyurl.com/yf9hsw5> for k$56.33; (b) AbeBooks <http://tinyurl.com/ya4sdb8> for $55.82>, (c) local libraries - see <http://tinyurl.com/ydbbnuz>.

Hake, R.R. 2010a. "Re: Confessions of a Converted Lecturer," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://tinyurl.com/yzrgehe>. Post of 16 March 2010 to various discussion lists; also online at <http://hakesedstuff.blogspot.com/2010/03/re-confessions-of-converted-lecturer.html>
with a provision for comments.

Hake, R.R. 2010b. "Re: Confessions of a Converted Lecturer #2," online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://tinyurl.com/yzv9f2v>. Post of 18 M

Ross, G.M. 2010. "Re: Confessions of a Converted Lecturer #2," STLHE-L post of 20 Mar 2010 13:54:36+0000; online at <http://tinyurl.com/yd27lbk>.