[Phys-l] Graphing algebraic equations

Are other people seeing problems with this--students ability to sketch graphs of algebraic expressions? This year is the worst I've seen. The context is primarily in doing Gauss' Law for spheres and cylinders and wanting a field versus distance graph. I'm getting a lot of nonesense even after we've done numerous examples (and pure gibberish the first time this is asked). [We're talking about Chemistry and Engineering students with pretty solid calculus backgrounds.] I'm wondering if this might not be partly due to graphing calculators--they've graphed many functions but never internalized what shapes go with what functions. Again--is this an isolated observance or are others seeing this too?

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Software
New multi-input energy simulator--plays similar to the Montana State analog computer.