From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 2:23 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] a conservation equation

On 03/17/2010 08:25 AM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

mgt1 j + p1 = mgt2 j + p2 (vector p's) [1]

This is formally similar to the conservation of energy equation,

As the subject line suggests, this is a conservation
equation. All conservation equations look alike, as
they should.

Equation [1] expresses conservation of momentum. It
is "formally similar" to conservation of charge,
conservation of energy, conservation of baryon number,
and so forth.

the
difference being that it is a vector equation and that it involves
momentum and a term mgt analogous to mgy. The energy equation
conserves the sum of KE and a positional energy. The other equation
conserves the sum of momentum and a temporal term.

I wouldn't say "momentum and a temporal term". It
conserves momentum, period. Force times time is
momentum, and momentum is the subject of equation [1].

Is anyone aware of an attempt to develop a momentum-time conservation
approach

Again: It's not momentum-time. It's just momentum.

to physics similar to the familiar KE-position conservation
approach - i.e., an attempt to avoid an impulse-momentum approach by
using a conservation law involving momentum and a temporal potential
of sorts similar to an avoidance of a work-KE approach by using
conservation of KE and positional energies? I would assume that the
biggest impediment would be finding suitable forces that are
functions of time instead of position.

Equation [1] is just plain conservation of momentum.

Conservation of momentum is a bedrock principle, used
day in and day out in innumerable ways, throughout all
of physics, engineering, et cetera.

For starters, the so-called third law of motion is most
usefully expressed in terms of conservation of momentum.

In particular, there are many situations such as fluid
dynamics where talking about the force balance at a
point is hopelessly confusing, but talking about the
momentum content and momentum flow is straightforward
(and is therefore the conventional approach).