Re: [Phys-l] Entropy Increase Question

Excellent example!!

In irregular seed crystal evolves into a gloriously faceted gem.

At 8:59 PM -0700 3/15/10, Leigh Palmer wrote:
Yes, there are situations in which the condition of a system can change without suffering an increase in entropy. In order for this to occur, the system must be initially in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. It then can, in principle, undergo spontaneous changes to other states which have the same entropy. (Note that I have added a constraint to your question which, I expect, you failed to mention. If not, then of course any reversible adiabatic process carried out an the system will be isentropic.)

An simple instance of such a change which might be observable would be in a system of solid crystals of a pure substance in contact with a saturated solution of the same material. The configuration of the crystals will change over time - spontaneously - without incurring a ticket for violation of the Second Law.

Leigh