From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of chuck britton
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2010 8:15 PM
To: Bob Sciamanda; Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Statics conundrum

This is an excellent 'learning opportunity'.

Try it - with suitable spring scales on each string.
Have a screw adjustment at the top of each string so you can change
it's length.

Now you can explore experimentally the 'solution space' that JD describes.
The middle string can certainly be slacked down to zero force.
What's the max that the middle string can exert before zeroing out
the far end string?

How do strings 'know' what to do?
Because they are elastic. (The spring scale makes this more obvious.)

How does the floor of your classroom 'know' how much 'normal' force to exert?
It 'knows' because it is really a trampoline that 'gives' until the
restoring force is just right.

Figgering out how to answer this Q from a student was a real learning
experience for me.

You never understand something until you figure out how to teach it.