Re: [Phys-l] operating room physics

At 08:29 -0600 03/04/2010, Brian Whatcott wrote:

When trucks refuel aircraft, the first step is clipping on the grounding
strap connecting bowser and airframe.

It's not just refueling. On combat aircraft, stray discharges can set off explosives or even launch missiles. This is a big problem on aircraft carriers, where the static charge on an aircraft just recovered can be considerable, and is typically insulated from the deck by the aircraft's wheels. The arresting cable should take care of most of the problem, but the electrical connection between the tail hook and the rest of the plane cannot be guaranteed, so, once the plane is parked one of the first things done is to connect a ground wire between the plane and the deck. When the plane is moved, the ground wire is switched from the deck to the tractor.

I've seen the results of an accidental launch of a missile from a parked aircraft. It's really scary. Fortunately, the explosive doesn't usually go off because the missile will hit something before it has time to arm itself. But seeing the tail end of a missile sticking out of the fuselage of a plane is a powerful reminder to be really careful about keeping an aircraft grounded (and not tying off the interlock switch that disables the firing circuit when the landing gear is carrying any weight).

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org