Re: [Phys-l] operating room physics

At 15:54 -0800 03/03/2010, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

That was my thought, so I googled "halothane explosive", believing it to be the current one. Nada; quite safe also in combo w/ nitrous oxide.. I don't think ether has been used for 3/4 of a century.

probably 10 years less than that at least. I was in the Children's ward of St. Francis hosp. in SF in '45, and was surrounded by kids who were retching up their guts after getting tonsillectomies using ether (it was clearly ether--we could smell it). I was 10 at the time, and even then I thought it was terminal stupid to use a drug that induced vomiting on people whose throats were being operated on. Several of the kids hemorrhaged--big surprise. I'm sure that it wasn't much after that that ether went sompletely out of style.

Hugh
--
Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org

So-called "global warming" is just a secret ploy by wacko tree-huggers to make America energy independent, clean our air and water, improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, kick-start 21st-century industries, and make our cities safer. Don't let them get away with it!!

Chip Giller, Founder, Grist.org