Re: [Phys-l] Disapointed. Was: Re: different types of waves have different speeds

Thanks -- Gary!

Coincidentally! That's the answer I used in reply to the teacher's question.

These are s and p waves. For example one can gauge distance from the epicenter of an earthquake by their separation. The speeds of mechanical waves depend on the materials' elasticities. The shear and Young's moduli are quite different, in all materials, AFAIK.

bc experienced no separation from the Loma Prieta quake

p.s. FYI:

Seismic Waves

And:

Poisson's ratio, waves and deformation
The Poisson's ratio of a material influences the speed of propagation and reflection of stress waves. In geological applications, the ratio of compressional to shear wave speed is important in inferring the nature of the rock deep in the Earth. This wave speed ratio depends on Poisson's ratio. Poisson's ratio also affects the decay of stress with distance according to Saint Venant's principle, and the distribution of stress around holes and cracks.

What is Poisson's ratio?

This engenders another point Evidently in semi-infinite (3-D) media primary and secondary waves are described by the wave equation taught in AP (I presume) and frosh physics, i.e. second order in x & t. While in the one D case it's beam bending and results in fourth order in x.

I haven't (yet) found the derivation for the seismic wave equations, but several sites give their speeds. The following gives the speeds and intuitizes why the compression wave involves both the bulk and the shear moduli.

http://appliedgeophysics.lbl.gov/seismic/seismic_21.pdf

Here maybe: (pages missing)

http://books.google.com/books?id=oRP5fZYjhXMC&pg=PA147&lpg=PA147&dq=telford+wave&source=bl&ots=C80mLmXwpd&sig=2QcjK1ZNrgpe6RXxIQ26JmCKW4k&hl=en&ei=bIqMS_fwLomCsgPUyr3pAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CBkQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=telford%20wave&f=false

bc