Re: [Phys-l] Electromagnetic waves

On 02/28/2010 03:23 PM, Bob Sciamanda wrote in part:

I am reminded of a quote from Freeman Dyson (poorly paraphrased from
memory):
"I have great respect for Stephen Hawking, but he often confuses a
mathematical model with the represented reality."

That's a useful warning. We agree that the harmonic
oscillator equation, as applied to the electronic LC
oscillator, is only a model of the real physics. The
idea that the LC oscillator has a "coordinate" and a
dynamically conjugate "momentum" is only a model.

However, I hasten to emphasize that any such caveat is
a two-edged sword. The exact same words apply to the
mechanical oscillator. The equation is only a model of
the real physics. The idea that the oscillator has a
"coordinate" and a dynamically conjugate "momentum" is
only a model.

So I think we're well within our rights to point out
the similarities between the two models. The models
have many of the same features ... and many of the
same bugs.

Notions of "coordinate" and "momentum" and "energy" are
all constructs ... rather recent constructs, on the scale
of things.