Re: [Phys-l] sound waves and beam flexures

Might solitons be an extreme example of this??

At 12:21 PM -0700 2/24/10, John Denker wrote:
On 02/24/2010 09:31 AM, Moses Fayngold wrote:

I do not see how and why the geometric shape of the wave-front can
affect the dispersion.

Eppur si muove.

Whether a wave (more accvurately, its
propagation) is dispersive or not is determined by the properties of
the medium and, if we also take into account the non-linear terms, by
the wave amplitude,

OK ....

but not by geometry.

Really? How do you know? How sure are you of that?

Have you done the calculation? Have you done the experiment?