Re: [Phys-l] App. for Was: Re: T dS versus dQ

More: [from where I discovered that app.]

From: Bill McNairy <mcnairy@phy.duke.edu>
Subject: Re: [tap-l] Ideal Gas Laws Apparatus
Date: 2010, February 10, 05:01:20 PST
To: tap-l@lists.ncsu.edu

I used it for several years at VMI with the majors lab and found it to be solidly constructed and gave great results for isothermal and adiabatic processes. (I believe our identical unit was sold through PASCO).

There are limitations on process dictated by thermodynamics-- e.g., must allow time for thermal diffusion after changing volume if you want to map out isothermal processes. Most excellent results with different types of gases.

The temperature sensor ( a fine wire inside the cavity) must not be abused, but isn't that the case for all equipment [other than rocks and lead bricks]? I see that the data interface now goes through DIN that is compatible (with adapters) with LabPro, LabQuest, Science Workshop, etc., a nice change since the days of 9-pin serial ports.

I would strongly encourage clamping the apparatus to a large/secure table--- it is very unsteady for transverse forces used by careless students.

Hope to see TapL'ers in DC this weekend-- bring your snowplows....

bill

Van Bistrow wrote:
Dear Tappers,

Has anyone had experience with the Ideal Gas Laws apparatus from Physics Enterprises (Andrews University)?
http://www.andrews.edu/services/physicsenterprises/products/gas_law.html

In particular, what is your experience with durability?

Thanks in advance,

Van
Van Bistrow
Director, Instructional Laboratories