Re: [Phys-l] Glaze Ice

Roger Haar wrote:
/snip/ The electrician found it was on the electric companies wires. They came out in the evening and made an immediate temporary fix. They were concerned about equipment ( for example, a refrigerator) damage from low voltage.

Thanks
Roger Haar
Interesting observation on that fridge compressor load.
It's 'lumpy'.
I noticed that a small generator could easily leave a freezer compressor motor stalled until it switched off, if the generator sagged much under load. (Lighting in circuit would stay dimmed for about 30 seconds, rather than a second or so...)

I suppose that this is a reason for electrical economizer gadgets aimed at fridges and freezers: the starting power must be adequate, but the running power can easily be stepped down...

Brian W