Re: [Phys-l] Rogallo orbit

I can't resist the opportunity to mention proudly that my brother, Barry Palmer, was the first to use the Rogallo wing as a hang glider. From Rogallo's NY Times obituary <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/05/us/05rogallo.html> :

"In an e-mail message, Nick Greece, editor of United States Hang Gliding
and Paragliding Magazine, said the first person to build a glider using
the Rogallo wing was Barry Palmer, who learned about Mr. Rogallo’s work
in Aviation Week magazine in August 1961, and who two months later near
Sacramento made the first flight."

I bought some corroded one inch diameter aluminum tubing from the Berkeley Physics Department for scrap value. Barry used it for his wing spars*. The glider was heavy, but served well for a first effort. Barry later built what might be called today an ultralight aircraft called "Skyhook" using the Rogallo wing.

I just Googled him (I had never done that before) and there are pictures. I've seen movies of Skyhook which Wikipedia tells me must be from 1967 - somewhat scary, given that he is my brother. Barry lives today on the bank of the Skykomish River in Washington. He has retired from his business of designing and building surface effect vehicles (known as "hovercraft" in the UK) under the name of SEVTEC. See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Hill_Palmer>.

Leigh

*I used the rest of it to construct a quarter-wave guyed vertical antenna for the 40 meter band.