From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Thu, January 21, 2010 10:41:40 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Landau on Lagrangian

Ian D. Lawrie, in his "A Unified Grand Tour of Theoretical Physics",
Sections 3.1 and 3.2, goes through the arguments in a much more
pleasing fashion (in my opinion) than L&L. His steps are:

Thanks for this summary. In fact, Landau does touch on these items in
the periphery, albeit as you suggest in not quite the same explicit
detail. I am seeing the greater importance of the Galilean transform
now.

Stefan Jeglinski