Re: [Phys-l] Another computer advance?

I found this:

http://www.knowledgecontext.org/

bc reminded of Burke's "Knowledge Web".

On 2010, Jan 13, , at 07:26, John Clement wrote:

Watch the following for a possible new wave in computers and usage:

http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsen
se_technology.html

Unfortunately my age shows up when I look at this and primarily see all
the negative aspects of cell-phones multiplied by several times! ;-(

But technology is neutral. So for every bad thing, you may get some good
things. I immediately thought of using some of his cheap technology in some
very good devices. For example: we now know that people who have lost most
functionality of a limb can be trained to use it again. But sometimes this
training consists of using a prosthesis which assists the motion. So a
stroke victim can start walking normally very quickly. But with time the
assist can be turned down as the nerves regrow, and accommodate. Eventually
the person can in many cases learn to walk almost normally. With cheap
technology this can be more available.

This system could be used in a car as a heads up system which warns you of
conditions down the road. But it should be forbidden as entertainment for
the drivers.

But of course as with many advances, it will be oversold. Interactive white
boards for example are being sold at fancy prices as educational advances,
despite the fact that there is no evidence to support this. Actually many
of the PER programs often do not even use PowerPoint frequently!

It also reminded me of the SF story where it was possible to put on goggles
and headphones which put you into a perpetual virtual reality. A father was
dismayed with his son going even deeper into this addictive thing. I
remember he challenged his son for the reward of a high end total virtual
reality. The son came up to the challenge and actually shed the addiction.
But addictive behavior can be to most anything, gambling, reading, smoking,
drinking, running...

I can see where the ability to quickly access information anywhere, anytime
could cause some social friction. Would we need guides for tours? When the
guide tells you a traditional story, you could look it up and tell the guide
the truth. Shades of the Man in the White Suit!

John M. Clement
Houston, TX