From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Mallinckrodt [ajm@csupomona.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:11 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] T dS versus dQ

To which Bob LaMontagne wrote:

Since you specified a thermally insulated cylinder and piston, it
doesn't really seem to matter if you do the compression quickly or
slowly - the final temperature will be the same. Since a
reversible adiabat will get you from the same initial state and to
the same final state, it appears dS = 0 as well as dq = 0.

Unless, I'm misunderstanding this, I think Bob might be laboring
under some combination of the following points of confusion:

1. Thermal insulation insures isothermality
2. All adiabatic processes are reversible
3. Adiabatic processes are isothermal processes.

None of the above are true.

Bob at PC: And none of the above were assumed by me.