Re: [Phys-l] Boiling Point of water - a mystery?

This comment assumes that the students have been brought up in a Fahrenheit culture.
If in fact they are far more comfortable with Celcius - then my thoughts are totally out of order.

My suspicion is that the thermometers are marked with a longer mark every ten degrees.
The student(s?) were unconsciously 'expecting' the B.P. to be 212 and inadvertently misread the mark. Recording 112 instead of the actual 102.