Re: [Phys-l] Action

Thanks for the replies:

John D - is there an alternative way to calculate K and U (.5mv^2 and mgy) here? Thanks for the point about the total vs. average - I see my issue with that now. I see the usual def'n is dt, but Wikipedia led me to believe (or I led myself) that variables could be substituted to express the dt interval as a dx one - I'm not sure if that's not possible, or if I just did it wrong.

Ken - *headslap* - I had set the initial v as fixed, but there are of course other angles that can work. - The bit about cons. of E was, I thought, a requirement. This is a piece of physics that I'm missing here. Let's say that I don't require cons. of E - I can use any parameterized parabola to get there? That's neat, and I'll have to try different speed parameterizations to check those actions once I have this working.

John M. - another piece of physics that I didn't appreciate; the time requirement. Thanks for the info.

Thanks everyone!
jg