Re: [Phys-l] A geek's observations on "Avatar"

Great book - neat insights. I hope it's accurate.

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard Cleyet [bernardcleyet@redshift.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 12:19 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] A geek's observations on "Avatar"

That is the point of 1491 -- the only way to have "saved" the Amerindians would a been to delay 1492 five centuries, until vaccination w/ cow pox available, etc. **

**Jenner, 1796 -- other methods in prehistory. (China and India)

bc IERC, it worked (slightly) in reverse, e.g. syphilis

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/15/world/americas/15iht-columbus.1.9219670.html

He did!

p.s. An Amazonian people were almost wiped out, tho were vaccinated, recently.

appropriate article?

http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146%2Fannurev.an.22.100193.001421

loads of articles, can't find the one I remember -- in the New Yorker?

http://www.wou.edu/las/socsci/kimjensen/crosby.html

creating dinosaurs, à la the movie -- no prob. modern diseases will wipe them out.