From: "Shapiro, Mark" <mshapiro@Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:44 PM
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Hybrid mileage

In order to meet emission requirements the cc has to be at a certain
minimum temperature. A sensor monitors the cc temp and tells the car's
computer to run the engine at high enough rpms to bring the cc up to temp.
For a hybrid that may mean going from zero rpms to finite rpms. For a
non-hybrid that may mean increasing the idle speed.

(These days you don't "drive" a car, you just point it. The computer
drives it!)

Mark