Re: [Phys-l] Understanding the physics lab

I do agree about the time. My point was that if they finish the data collection in an hour (or so) I'd like to be able to utilize their time better by completing whatever information I require (a report, analysis of the data, etc...no statistics, or anything fluffy) prior to leaving. Telling them that they can simply leave after they collect the data (to write the lab report up later) winds up showing poor data collection and laboratory technique. Maybe a % based on the standard deviation of expected results or of that compared to the accuracy/precision of their peers might address that? I can certainly see that if they carefully collect and analysis the data in a clear fashion in say two hours that I have no problem with them leaving.

Regards, Robert.

________________________________

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of LaMontagne, Bob
Sent: Sun 1/3/2010 2:30 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Understanding the physics lab

Why do they have to stay there for 3 hours? My approach to labs is to address a single topic per lab. I definitely give "cook-book" labs, but require the students to explain what they have done (and why) at each step. I don't waste their time with error analysis or any other "fillers" to cover 3 hours. If they can finish with a good understanding of the single topic in an hour - so be it.

Bob at PC