Re: [Phys-l] "The Truth Wears Off" by Jonah Lehrer in The New Yorker Dec 13, 2010.

Brian,

I just downloaded and read this article and found it fascinating. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered, and I'm not sure that the effect described is merely a statistical phenomenon with input by unintentionally biased observers. Maybe it is, but the experiments he described to try to show this were not terribly convincing, IMO.

But since most of his examples involved the life sciences, I wonder if there are examples of this sort of thing in the physical sciences. Could this effect have been operating in the slow drift of the measured value of the electron charge from Millikan's value to the present day value, for example? He talks about some differences measured in a few rather obscure phenomena, but in a way that is less than convincing to me that they are examples of the effect he is expounding upon. Simply finding a different value of a known phenomenon could be due to any number of things that, if I read the article correctly, don't really fall within its limits.

But it would seem that the climate change measurements are prime candidates for examination to see if the effects he talks about exist there. These are measurements that almost by definition cannot be done as "double-blind" studies and so could be rife with the prejudices that have been found as a result of Schooler's work. On the other hand, I was always under the impression that double-blind testing was at least partial insurance against the sort of thing Lehrer talks about.

In spite of the questions I have about the article, I has certainly gotten my attention. I plan to bring it to the attention of some friends who work in both the medical field and in drug testing to see what they think of it.

It would have been nice if he had included some sources to look up, but I know that the "New Yorker" doesn't do that sort of stuff.

I would be interested in any comments from other readers of the article.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org