Re: [Phys-l] About the "why" and "how questins."

Don't know where this quote came from, but I love it. "I can remember
when preachers didn't do science and scientists didn't preach."

Let us not forget that Newton also wrote religious tracts, most of which are
totally forgotten today.

So pray tell when was that time?

After all Goethe invented the color wheel which is still used by artists,
despite the fact that it is fairly inaccurate. Newton had 7 colors in the
spectrum because of the numerology.

In the 1950s when I went to public school in upstate NY they had a prayer
and the pledge every day, but nobody questioned evolution. On the other
hand evolution was forbidden to be taught in some states in the 50s.
William Jennings Bryant was extremely anti-evolutionst, a liberal populist,
and known for his oratory. He came close to being president of the US.

I think there have been times of relatively less science/religion
entanglement, but now we are in a time of high entanglement. But there are
indications that the anti-evolutionist denominations are losing influence.
Actually some think we are headed towards a very pluralistic society similar
to the Roman Empire where extremely diverse religious groups will all be
included equally, and Christianity will no longer be as dominant.

Will this unentangle religion and science? The Japanese do not have such an
entanglement because they choose the various religious aspects they like for
each part of their life. So they have Shinto births, Christian weddings,
and Buddist funerals. The Pueblo Indians added Christianity to their
traditional beliefs, but did not give up their traditions.

But for now we have to be aware of the anti-science pressures that might be
used against us.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX