Re: [Phys-l] Decoherence in Quantum Mechanics

This is circular thinking.

Arnulfo Castellanos Moreno

-----Mensaje original-----
De: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] En nombre de
Spinozalens@aol.com
Enviado el: Viernes, 17 de Diciembre de 2010 10:38 a.m.
Para: avoid-l@lists.hawaii.edu
CC: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Asunto: [Phys-l] Decoherence in Quantum Mechanics

Decoherence in Quantum Mechanics
Authors: _Jurjen F. Koksma_
(http://arxiv.org/find/quant-ph/1/au:+Koksma_J/0/1/0/all/0/1) , _Tomislav
Prokopec_
(http://arxiv.org/find/quant-ph/1/au:+Prokopec_T/0/1/0/all/0/1) , _Michael
G. Schmidt_
(http://arxiv.org/find/quant-ph/1/au:+Schmidt_M/0/1/0/all/0/1)
Comments: 25 pages, 13 figures
Subjects: Quantum Physics (quant-ph); General Relativity and Quantum
Cosmology (gr-qc); High Energy Physics - Theory (hep-th)
We study decoherence in a simple quantum mechanical model using two
approaches. Firstly, we follow the conventional approach to decoherence
where one
is interested in solving the reduced density matrix from the perturbative
master equation. Secondly, we consider our novel correlator approach to
decoherence where entropy is generated by neglecting observationally
inaccessible correlators. We show that both methods can accurately predict
decoherence time scales. However, the perturbative master equation
generically
suffers from instabilities which prevents us to reliably calculate the
system's
total entropy increase. We also discuss the relevance of the results in our

quantum mechanical model for interacting field theories.
_http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1012/1012.3701v1.pdf_
(http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1012/1012.3701v1.pdf)