Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

I think we don't need the strain gauges -- A hammer blow at the end produces an impulse which on reflection results in a perceived tone when coupled to ones ear. (assuming correct length, modulus and specific mass).

I think the continuing force at the first end is equivalent to a beam clamped at that end.

bc