Re: [Phys-l] Magnetism and rust

On 12/04/2010 11:37 AM, Peter Schoch wrote:
I have a steel router table. On it I have a magnetic feather-board
-- a strong, ceramic magnet in a holder that then has 'fins' on it to
keep the work being routed tight to the fence. The table, despite it
being cold and damp was rust free -- EXCEPT under where the magnet
was! As I lifted off the feather-board, I found a perfect rust
outline of the magnet inside the feather-board!

I can't explain using any Physics I know...

It's probably chemistry not physics. I reckon the machine was
only intermittently damp, and that the moisture evaporated quickly
from most places but more slowly right next to the feather board.
I predict that a non-magnetic object would have had a comparable
effect.