Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

On 11/29/2010 7:08 PM, D.V.N. Sarma wrote:
John Denker<jsd@av8n.com> wrote:
Absolutely not. As functions of time, F(t) = ma(t). It is the
same t. The law of motion insists that there is no temporal sequence.

We do not have any point masses in the universe. For a body of
finite dimensions, it is the elastic properties that communicate
the force applied at one end to the other end. There is a time gap.
/snip/
Sarma.

Though it does seem nit-picky to point out that for any mass with extension
in space, a force applied at a point provides a traveling wave of acceleration
to that mass over time, it is only fair to allow this since we seemed to be asserting earlier
that in fluidic motion, there is no pressure change without
a density change - isn't this much the same level of argument, I expect?

Brian W