Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

During a recent, lengthy, private discussion amongst a few of us, I started out in the Fnet causes acceleration camp, but eventually came to realize that forces do not just run around the universe by themselves, causing things to accelerate.

A force (or that final bit of force that causes the net force to become unbalanced) comes from some agent - either some piece of matter or a passing EM field, and both the force *and* the acceleration of whatever it interacts with happen together, with no cause and effect relationship.

I'm going to have to disagree with Bill, who argues that a net force does not cause acceleration, but the individual forces do.

The argument was also made that using cause-effect language might lead students to believe that there is some delay between force and acceleration. I don't know if this has been studied, but since they already do not distinguish between acceleration and velocity, I certainly don't want to add any additional confusion.

It is sufficient to say, and essential for students to master, that when something is accelerating, there is going to be an unbalanced force, and vice versa. When you see one, look for the other.

Some people state the causality as "I apply a force, and then the object accelerates." The flaw in such a statement is that there is no moment in time when a force is applied. Every force producing piece of matter in the universe is already interacting with every other piece of matter on which it has an influence. In the case of gravity, that's everything. In the case of the electric force that we usually associate with the concept of "contact," it's the charged particles. The interactions are already there, and on the small scale the only choice we have is to strengthen or weaken them by adjusting the distance between them. These influences have associated accelerations that have also been going on since the particles were formed, and as the positions adjust, both the forces and the accelerations adjust in tandem.

Your basic elliptical orbit is a stable, continuous variation of position, force and acceleration.

To address the student who says "The car didn't start accelerating until you pushed it," you would really have to get into the microscopic behavior of the materials as they approach one another. In a frictionless vacuum situation, you might see an initial attraction, followed by the repulsion as "contact" is fully established. Both the force and the acceleration are functions of distance, not each other. (Think of the Cavendish apparatus.)

This is one of those situations where the eye should not be believed, and why it took 2000 years to figure this stuff out once people really started looking at it.

Scott

*

* /From/: ludwik kowalski <kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu
<mailto:kowalskil%40mail.montclair.edu>>
* /Date/: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:26:54 -0500

It is often stated that physicists build models of reality. A modelwhich states that acceleration is always caused by a net force seemsto be very useful. That is what Sarma would say about the a=F/m. Themass of an object, in a classical model, does not depend on speed. Butthe m must known to calculate the a(t) when a particular F(t) isgiven. Do I interpret him correctly?Yes, a mathematician can write the second law as F=m*a, or m=F/a. Thatdoes not contradict the useful model of a physicist--in order toaccelerate an object one needs a net force. Causality is part of themodel, it is not part of reality.Yes, I know that more general models can be, and have been, created.All models have limited validity. The simplest model is appropriate inteaching introductory physics courses. That is what most authors oftextbooks do. The assumptions under which simple models are valid areusually clearly stated. Learning about more general models, inadvanced classes, does not mean "unlearning of what has already beenlearnt."

Ludwik