Re: [Phys-l] The "why" questions

The assignment of "cause" and "effect" is a philosophical, and not a physics, concept. It is neither operationally definable nor conclusively testable. The mathematical models of physics never address such concepts. However, by their nature, the conceptual models by which we interpret our mathematical models will make use of such philosophical concepts. This is OK and a help to human understanding and pedagogy, but it should be understood that we are now in a philosophical discussion, about which physics is mute.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/res12merh/