Re: [Phys-l] Historical trivium

Please remember he is talking about New Jersey drivers. The rest of the world has the incoming traffic yield to the cars on the rotary. When I was in Bermuda, they had a quaint sign that said "the person on the roundabout has the straightaway".

Rotaries sure beat traffic lights - drivers are better at negotiating right of way than lights are. The only thing better are high capacity fly-overs and ramps - but they are expensive. Also 4-way stop signs beat lights. It's amazing how people can figure things out for themselves without the heavy hand of government.

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard Cleyet [bernardcleyet@redshift.com]
Sent: Saturday, November 20, 2010 4:52 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Historical trivium

I presume this is a two lane circle. In England the car in the circle has right of way. Back when, I remember a US traffic engineer in a TV discussion (panel) vehemently suggest getting rid of all of them. They never bother me, and are better than stop signs, even four way ones.

bc's rides one in Salinas, one in Santa Cruz, and at least one in Palo Alto.

p.s. A roundabout is also a merry go round. The magic roundabout for kiddies just before Dr. Who Sat. afternoon. Sixties when the Dr. was thought an older kiddy show!