Re: [Phys-l] question about Bernoulli

On 11/19/2010 12:52 PM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
Following up on my earlier post, I think the proper conclusion is that:

1. In the case of a gas, the pressure drop within a constriction is partially due to decreased molecular speeds, but mostly due to "less squeezing" (i.e., lower density)

2. In the case of a liquid, the pressure drop is almost entirely due to "less squeezing."

In any event it is not, I think, due to some sort of displacement of the locus of speeds in the translational direction as Brian suggested and as I found at least a little compelling at first.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona

Hmmm..I was hoping you wouldn't talk about reduced density: the word "Incompressible" is often specified in this Bernoulli connection, after all.
I like to think that kids used to blow a breath over a strip of light tissue.
The key idea is to consider the difference between the total pressure along a stream line, and
the total pressure across streamlines - where dynamic pressure is not available?
Dynamics does not allow us the luxury of supposing as we often can in statics, that
" pressure is the same everywhere."

Brian W