Re: [Phys-l] question about Bernoulli

On 11/18/2010 6:52 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
On Nov 18, 2010, at 6:47 PM, brian whatcott wrote:

You certainly know, as we all do, that moving a column of air down a
pipe reduces the pressure
at the pipe wall, which implies the reduction of the kinetic energy in
that direction, which implies lower normal velocity. ...
Howdy,

I think much more precision is needed here. Kinetic energy is a scalar quantity and has no direction.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
It becomes far too tedious to separate the terms of a kinetic energy expression in order to
point to the directionality of the normal molecular velocity for me. Instead, I drew a diagram which separates the directional components. I would be glad of your critique of that!

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/betwys/BD.gif
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac6/betwys/BernoulliDepression.jpg

Perhaps a further five minutes after I send this reply? :-)

Brian W