Re: [Phys-l] Heat transfer lab

The leaky system is certainly more comfortable. On a cold New england day the relative humidity indoors (leaky houses) is very low and one's sinuses get way too dry. The extra moisture from the relief valves on the radiators helps matters. You don't get this from a closed two pipe system or from electric heat. On really dry days we put a big pot of water on the stove while cooking to add moisture to the air. Sometimes we put a pan of water on radiators themselves.

Bob at PC

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-
bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard Cleyet
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:30 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Heat transfer lab

Air in a closed system? (Valve only opens when the p(in) > p(out).
On cooling is partial vacuumed.

bc thinks a leaky system would result in sickness (mold)

On 2010, Nov 17, , at 20:25, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

That is basically what I said in my original posting. Sometimes the
relief valve get stuck. That radiator remains cold while all the rest
in the house operate normally. If the valve is replaced, the radiator
works again. Some release is necessary for the radiator to work.

Bob at PC