To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Cheating, a great argument against online courses.

First, I thought I made it clear that assignments in math and similar
subjects were especially suspect in online courses. Yes, you can turn
in a paper done by someone else in person, but to take a math or
physics test in person for someone else is much more difficult.
Second, if I told an NBA scout that he should think long and hard
before recommending his team draft someone five feet six inches tall,
should he come back with, "So, you're telling me Mugsy Bogues was a
terrible NBA player?" Does MIT produce a large number of online
degrees? Could I possibly have been referring to the thousands of
degrees handed out each year by places like Walden and University of
Phoenix?

Bill

William C. Robertson, Ph.D.