Re: [Phys-l] Richard Dawkins Answers Reddit Questions

You state that anyone with religious beliefs is operating under a severe handicap when doing science. That's not just an unbiased, objective view. It's anti-religion. To make such a statement as if it's obvious to everyone is rather arrogant and certainly not fair- minded. I believe that's the kind of comment that raises Rick's ire. And I am not a religious person--pretty much an agnostic. I am, however, tolerant of people with religious viewpoints. My wife is religious. She's also very intelligent. Her views on religion are a personal matter, and nothing I feel I need to attack. I don't understand the need for people here to attack religion, and I don't understand the need for Dawkins to attack religion. As for Dawkins, he reveals that science is his religion when he states that one of the unsolved questions in biology is to determine not how we came to be, but why we came to be. Science can't answer why we came to be. Religion can, for many people. Personally, I don't care or worry about why we came to be--it's enough that we're here. I don't, however, labor under the notion that science can give us this answer.

And just another comment on Dawkins. He reveals his scientific arrogance when he states that biology has pretty much answered the major questions and is in the process of filling in the details. Didn't a number of physicists take this position before the advent of relativity and quantum mechanics?

Bill

William C. Robertson, Ph.D.