help me get to know the names of students in my smaller classes, but not when I have more than 50
students. It's also interesting to see how much they age during their four or five years with us when I
compare their faces when they are seniors to when they left high school.

On 16 Nov 2010 at 11:21, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

I take pictures of all my students on the first day of class. It allows me to connect the face with the name as I grade homework. It also helps jog my memory when one of them asks for a recommendation 5 years later. Using this method I get all the names down in about two weeks. Many students remark how they appreciate it and how they have gone entire semesters without instructors knowing their name.

Bob at PC

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard Cleyet [bernardcleyet@redshift.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:08 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Cheating, a great argument against online courses.

I, until now, wondered why Garrett Hardin had his staff photograph all his intro. students. He'd look thru them while he invigilated.

bc naive, and took (ca 1963) his grad course (one unit; one paper and discussion at his home) [the texts were The Structure of Scientific Revolutions and An Anthology of Partly Baked Ideas.]