[Phys-l] Students as customers. Hej! teachers put a tip jar on your desk!

" ... A spokeswoman with the city's Department of Education said this application had no bearing on Ms. Black's suitability to run a school district with 1.1 million children. When Mayor Bloomberg was asked about the opposition to Black on his weekly radio show on WOR-AM, Nov. 12, he responded: "It just goes to show they have no understanding of [what] the job is. This is an organization, an agency of the city, that deals with 1.1 million customers, has 135,000 employees, has a budget of $23 billion a year."

Students as customers?

Cathleen Black Plugged iPhone Sex Tip App - NYTimes.com

The above quote not in the Times article (link above) but refered to in comment no. 14, which includes:

As for the distraction they serve, maybe it was necessary to distract the public from the Mayor’s comment that the New York City Public School System serves “1.1 million CUSTOMERS” a day.

Here I thought I was teaching students. Had I known they were CUSTOMERS, I would have brought a tip jar to work.

— RobSN

bc thanks Sam Smith