Re: [Phys-l] Cheating, a great argument against online courses.

Cheating in online courses is as easy as it gets, though many students can't even get that right. For a short time, I taught online algebra for University of Phoenix online (better than delivering pizzas in lean times, but not much). There is absolutely no way to know who is actually posting the homework or tests. It was common to catch students sharing test solutions (formatting exactly the same and exactly the same mistakes), but even then calling them on it was difficult. When students denied cheating, I just had to call their bluff, give them a zero, and tell them to take it up with the university. There are ways of checking for cheating in papers plagiarized from other sources (turnitin.com or just a google search for selected paragraphs), but no way to check if another person has written a paper for someone.

I brought the issue up with school officials, but they just brushed it off as a hazard of the environment. As a result, I do tell people to take with a grain of salt online degrees.

Bill

William C. Robertson, Ph.D.