Re: [Phys-l] Conservative/Liberal science?

Responding to Brian Whatcott...

I am sorry to report that I have a conclusion that differs in some
details.

We seem to have a problem in the US; the problem is that we can too easily
be led to demonizing people who hold views that differ from ours.

If you are democratic leaning, then savor the feeling you have about
political
talk show hosts who figure on FOX and some other channels.
If you are republican-leaning, taste the sensation that arises when I
mention the
name of a spokesperson called Nancy Pelosi.

Nancy Pelosi is the Speaker of the House of Representatives. She is not a
spokesperson, she is one of the most powerful person's in the United
States. She decides everything that happens or doesn't happen in the
House. People on the right take issue with her on policy issues, but do
not generally demonize her, though it has happened.

In one case, you are pretty sure that the talking heads are spouting
biggoted
rubbish, on the other side, you are pretty sure that her way paves
the high road to Hell.

Anyone who thinks that the mainstream conservative talk show hosts are
bigoted have never listened to them for any length of time.

This does not affect only the poorly educated, the folks full of
misconceptions,
the below average: I am referring to people of the stature of John M.,
Bob laM.,
-- Marx (he does not use a first name, recently). If it happens to
them, you
can be quite certain it happens to people who are less prepared to
evaluate
propaganda and smear materials in lieu of weighing the available
evidence.

Here, I do not know what you are talking about.

It is surprising. It is disappointing. If it is the case that the first
casualty of war
is the Truth, then we are most certainly at war: not with some external
enemy - but with that fellow over the road - that woman across town.
Those people who wear "rags" on their heads, those people who are certain
that we must abolish taxes in general.

Here again, whatever point you are trying to make is lost in the fog. We
are all interested in truth. The trouble is that finding it is difficult
because there are so many voices trying to distort it.

The proper solution to all of this is that people start really
communicating with each other on issues and ideas, instead of continuing
the mind-numbing attacks on one another.

Cheers,
David Marx