Re: [Phys-l] periodic table invention

Hi,

I came across an activity for students that does an amazing job of helping
them see the point of the periodic table. I thought others might enjoy this.
I personally didn't appreciate it as much as I do after this. Plus it's
just a fun puzzle even if you already understand the table.

Warning: You have to finish the puzzle to really "get it". I thought I did
and when I went back to finish it, I really liked it.

The key is to tell your students you're doing something different today and
then give them this activity called "Dr. Willis Wonderful Library". There
are brief directions at the top that they must follow carefully. When they
are done, many will have different schemes but ALL will be able to predict
the missing books and their characteristics. The next day I talk about
Mendeleev (attached power point).

Wendy

Wendy K. Adams, PhD
Education Coordinator