Re: [Phys-l] Solving American ______________

For a long time, people in the United States have not truly valued education beyond it being a tool to
get a job. The problem is that people do not consider what it might take to succeed in a job or how to
be competitive and advance in a job. Many people have taken on an "I deserve it" attitude. If you want
education to improve, you must first change the culture to one that finds value in education. But
education must do its part and rid itself of political agendas as well.

Secondly, stop acting as if you are a politican or a used car salesman when talking about issues.
Simply state your case. Argue on the battlefield of ideas. If people have listened to your case and
decide differently, let it go and be OK with the fact that they do not believe as you believe. In honest
debate, many people will be swayed by clearly presented factual information. For example, if people
were shown the evidence for global warming and not just told to accept it because lots of scientists
claim its happening, then people might be persuaded.

There are too many people these days who now think that people are too stupid to make decisions for
themselves and want to take away the freedom of people to make personal choices. For example,
New York restaurants told that they can't use salt in their cooking, etc. Or people in California being
told that they can't buy a car painted black. Where does it end? We need less elitism and more
intellectual honesty.