Re: [Phys-l] definitions ... purely operational, or not

At 12:30 -0500 11/08/2010, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

True weight is mg, while apparent weight is given by a bathroom scale,
which shows the upward support force. Jump off a cliff, and that scale
reads zero. You have no apparent weight, just like those floating
astronauts in the orbiting shuttle. Plenty of true weight. You can also
hang a wood block with a spring scale. Release the block and it falls due
to its true weight. But the scale reads zero while the block falls.

While I believe that trying to achieve a uniform definition of weight in this world is truly tilting a windmill, I can't help getting involved. To my way of thinking, the only useful definition of weight is that which the bathroom scale reads when you stand on it (assuming it is an accurate bathroom scale). This is not inconsistent with Al Bartlett's definition, only a little homier.

This, then is consistent with what we say from orbit, from the bottom of a swing and while standing on the earth. And everyone understands what you are talking about. It also enables us to banish the silly concept of "zero gravity." If we remove gravity from the definition of weight, then wherever you are, you never have to reconnect the two. Weightless is weightless, heaivier is heavier, and lighter is lighter. And we don't have to worry about gravity.

Then what to we do with mg? Just leave it as is. g is simply the (corrected for local effects like the rotation of the earth) gravitational field strength, so mg is then completely analogous to qE (the force of gravity on an object of mass m and the force of electricity on a charge q), and there is no magical turning on or off of gravity. And we don't have to worry about differentiating between "true" weight and "apparent" (i.e., "liar's") weight. Weight is just weight, and as we all, including little kids, know, it varies with the circumstances--you're heavier at the bottom of the Ferris wheel and lighter at the top, and all that stuff.

So let me add my voice to the hopeless cause of getting the ambiguity out of our understanding of gravity and weight.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
mailto:hugh@ieer.org