Re: [Phys-l] definitions ... purely operational, or not

On Nov 8, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

True weight is mg, while apparent weight is given by a bathroom scale,

These two things are identical. A properly calibrated, properly used bathroom scale measures mg where g is precisely the thing that is measured in the lab, i.e., the thing we call "the acceleration due to gravity" or "freefall acceleration."

I strongly second Joel's recommendation to read the Bartlett article in this month's TPT.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona