Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

On 11/07/2010 08:33 AM, Scott Orshan wrote:
I think I can have it both ways.

No, in any given experimental situation, you can't.

Am I wrong in observing that toothpaste will both hold its shape on a
surface, yet be slippery underfoot?

Under the conditions of the experiment, it's either one or
the other.

Specifically: I am holding the funnel which is supporting
the weight of the plate.

Under *these* conditions on *this* timescale the paste either
flows or it doesn't. Please tell me, does it flow or doesn't
it?

You have sent two messages emphasizing that it is not viscous,
not sticky, not glue-like, and not capable of supporting shear
stress. In that case, it would be energetically favorable for
it to flow. So please explain why I do not observe any flow.