Re: [Phys-l] October Physics Challenge

It might be helpful to know if the ratio of masses is greater or less
than the ratio
of static and kinetic coefficients of friction.

Ho ho, you're very insightful! That key piece of info does indeed arise. We are told that M>m (and physics requires mu_k <= mu_s). But we also told to consider ALL cases. So please go ahead and suppose that mu_k/mu_s <= m/M, which is indeed required if the heavy block is to slip on the ribbon while the light block does not. -Carl
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363