Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

On 11/5/2010 12:36 PM, John Clement wrote:
I think a closeup of the lid would be very helpful. The oh so light air
should have compressed and lid deformed or bowed downward. This would be
more confirmation of compressive interaction between the lid and the
aquarium. To see the compression an object like a soda straw across the lid
could be used as a reference.

Nice experiment, but as I already said it is just a suction cup.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Hehe...."just a suction cup." Obviously?

The interesting feature of the arrangement we are discussing is that a cup made of
infinitely stiff unobtainium (of the kind that can be approximated by a hemispherical
steel cap) can be made to demonstrate this curious property of staying on the floor of a
decently flat conformable base, though it be submerged and full of oh-so light air.

Don't you agree?

Brian W